16/05/2010

World Cup 2010 news from the Jamaica Observer

The World Cup can't be far off - because the deluge of over-opinionated articles, not all of which will be written by me, has begun. Step forward Hartley Anderson of the Jamaica Observer.

Hartley's piece entitled "Maradona: Madman or magician?" caught my eye because it's a perfect example of the disparity between great headlines and a story which fails to live up to the inflated expectations caused by the headline.

Everyone knows Argentina's coach Diego Maradona used over 80 players during a demanding qualification campaign.

Yes of course eyebrows were raised by his failure to include Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso of Inter Milan, and midfielder Fernando Gago of Real Madrid, in the 30-man provisional squad.

Maradona is still held in the highest regard by Argentina fans for his exploits in the eighties.

His standing in the Argentine public's eyes would rise to super stratospheric levels were his side to take the World Cup home. Tell me something I don't know.

The real question is the one posed by the original headline: is Maradona a madman or a magician?

Sadly the article makes no attempt to offer an answer. There's little new on Maradona's mental health and nothing at all on his ability to render elephants invisible.

Perhaps it was my own fault but I expected more. Trust me to be fooled by a tantalising headline.

Read the full article here: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Maradona--Madman-or-magician_7617583

Meanwhile, I've just spotted another headline: "Spain to bribe World Cup refs, claims FA chief". Forget it, headline writers. You don't get me twice on the same day. Oh...

No comments:

Post a Comment