Online dating site “Singles 365” claims traffic to the site in the aftermath of England’s exit was up over 134 per cent compared with the same day the previous week, and up over 187 per cent during the following week.
Other sites also recorded similar rises in activity as English men searched for consolation after the crushing loss.
The Singles 365 survey reveals that the boom started within minutes of the final whistle and peaked just thirty-two minutes later.
“We were genuinely stunned to see how many men registered on the site straight after the game,” said Katie Mowe from Singles 365. “Our message to all the single ladies out there who are looking for a date is strike while the iron is hot – the football season will start again in less than two months.”
Sadly for the men, another survey found that more than seventy per cent of women in England said they intended to watch the remaining matches even though England had been knocked out. Only five per cent said they would be avoiding the FIFA World Cup.
Let’s stop and pause here for a second. “More than seventy per cent of women in England said they intended to watch the remaining matches even though England had been knocked out.”
Market researchers who know more about these things than me will probably wonder how representative the sample of people was. If 1000 questionnaires were completed across England, that’s OK. If the women who completed surveys were all piling out of a Newcastle club at 3am, it’s not really representative at all.
Put simply, I don’t believe 70% of women in England intended to watch the remaining matches even though England were already home. Sorry. Had they said “70% of men” I wouldn’t have a problem.
Anyway, here’s my point: 70% of women still watching the footy leaves 30% free to chase depressed men looking for something to do until the football season starts again in August. 30% of women who don’t like football and 100% of men who do. That’s not a recipe for romance in anyone’s eyes, it’s just another in a long series of ill-judged World Cup promotional campaigns. Let’s hope it’s the last.
Holland v Uruguay prediction: Holland WIN